Thursday, October 18, 2007

Is there a new Cardinal in your hometown?

VATICAN CITY, OCT. 17, 2007 (Zenit.org) - "Benedict XVI announced the names of 23 new cardinals for the Church, including a historic move to bestow the first red hat to the head of a Texas archdiocese."



Archbishop Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, Texas will be the first Cardinal from the state of Texas. Cardinal DiNardo is now also a cardinal elector, meaning that he will have a vote in the election of the pope.

"Archbishop DiNardo, whose diocese consists of 1.3 million Catholics, said in reaction to his appointment: 'I am deeply grateful to the Holy Father for his kindness in appointing me and for his trust in allowing me to be placed in the College of Cardinals. May I immediately add that it is also very humbling and surprising! I promise him my fullest communion, loyalty and obedience.'" (Read more from ZENIT Catholic News)

Congratulations to those of you from the Galveston-Houston Diocese.

No comments: